$52 New Patient Special. Click Here


1019 N Highland Ave Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Call us today
Contact us
Opening hours

7am-6pm Monday-Thursday | 7-11am on Friday

Book Apppointment

5 Reasons Why Fish Oil is Important

Fish oil is one of the most commonly consumed dietary supplements. Fish oil can be incredibly important for your overall health. The easiest way to consume fish oil is of course by eating fish but there are other ways to consume fish oil. Dr. Dee and the team here at Healing Hands Chiropractic in Murfreesboro, Tennesse promote the importance of fish oil. 

Table of Contents

What Is Fish Oil

fish oil pills

Fish oil is the fat or the oil that is extracted from fish tissue. Typically, it comes from oily fish such as tuna, anchovies, and mackerel. Around 30% of fish oil is made of omega-3s while the remaining 70% is made up of other fats.

The World Health Organization recommends eating 1-2 portions of fish per week. Omega-3 fatty acids in fish provide many positive health benefits. The type of omega-3s found in fish oil has greater health benefits than the omega-3s found in plant sources. Here are 5 reasons why fish oil is important for your health:

1. Supports Overall Health

Research has shown that fish oils go a long way in preventing heart diseases. This is crucial because heart disease has become the leading cause of death worldwide. Those who regularly eat fish have a much lower rate of heart disease.

Fish oil can also reduce blood pressure in those who elevate levels. It can increase the levels of HDL cholesterol, which is good cholesterol. It doesn’t increase the LDL cholesterol levels which are the bad cholesterol. 

2. Treats Certain Mental Disorders

Omega-3s are incredibly important for normal brain function. This is because your brain is made up of nearly 60% fat and much of the fat is omega-3 fatty acids. A proper amount of omega-3s can help prevent brain disease and certain mental disorders. 

There are studies that suggest people with certain mental disorders have lower omega-3 blood levels. Other studies suggest that those with mental disorders have lower omega-3 blood levels. Fish oil can help reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. 

3. Helps With Weight Loss

person riding a stationary bike for weight loss

Let’s be honest, we’re all interested in things that can help us lose weight. Research and certain studies suggest that it can greatly impact weight loss. These supplements can improve body composition and reduce the risk factors of heart disease. 

Some studies also point to it aiding with weight loss with a combination of diet and exercise. While there are plenty of studies that point to the effectiveness of fish oil when it comes to weight loss. Some doctors say that it doesn’t significantly reduce weight loss. 

4. Supports Eye Health

In today’s day-in-age, we’re all staring at screens for hours on end. The blue lights these screens and monitors give off can cause a major strain on our eyes. It has omega-3 fats can help promote proper eye health. 

A study found that steady fish oil consumption for 19-weeks improve the vision in all AMD patients that were tested.  People who don’t get a proper amount of omega-3 fats are at a higher risk of eye diseases. 

5. Reduces Inflammation

Inflammation can be incredibly painful and can make regular mundane tasks nearly impossible. Inflammation is actually a leading cause of sleep apnea as it makes it difficult to get comfortable because of the pain. Reducing inflammation can help treat diseases and can help you get your life back on track. 

These supplements can significantly reduce joint pain, stiffness and medication needs in people with rheumatoid arthritis which can be incredibly painful. This is because it as anti-inflammatory properties and can help those living with chronic inflammation. 

Ways To Consume Fish Oil

We’ve given the reasons why it is important to your overall health. There are several different ways that you can consume it. The World Health Organization recommends eating 1-2 portions of fish per week to get the proper amount of omega-3 fatty acids. 

If you don’t like fish or you don’t eat fish there are other ways that you can consume it. There are pills that you can take to get you the proper amount of omega-3 fatty acids you need. These pills are typically once per day use and it’s recommended that you take them in the morning. 

Contact us Today For an Appointment

If you need a chiropractic adjustment, get in touch with Dr. Dee and the team here at Healing Hands Chiropractic in Murfreesboro, Tennesse. We’ll be happy to schedule you with an appointment to see Dr. Dee.

Did you know Chiropractic care can help treat chronic back pain, sports injuries, and auto accidents?

Get in touch with Dr. Dee at Healing Hands Chiropractic today for an initial consultation!